Imagine that everything is going well and that you are prepared with your packing and ready to depart when you learn unexpectedly that your vacation has been delayed owing to a flight delay or another factor. That might effectively quell your excitement. Additionally, if the travel is delayed for a significant amount of time, all of your subsequent arrangements and connecting flights will also be delayed. And as a result of the delay, you can have to pay a variety of extra costs.
There are several reasons why your vacation can be postponed or cancelled. This could be because of personal factors like losing your passport, getting stopped in traffic, or an accident on the route to your departure location, etc., or it could be because of a travel delay brought on by your carrier.
The following are some factors that your carrier may be at fault for delaying your trip:
- Natural disasters or unfavourable weather
- Unannounced job action or a strike by carriers’ employees
- Failure of the carrier’s equipment
Even though you weren’t at fault, you would still have to pay for meals, housing, etc. during the waiting period if your flight was delayed for a few hours for any of these reasons.
However, whether you are travelling internationally or domestically if you are protected by travel insurance, you need not worry about such trip delays and supplemental costs. If your journey is delayed owing to one of the risks listed in the policy agreement, you will be offered the maximum rewards.
Read about the inclusions and exclusions of travel policy for further information regarding the context of the coverage of domestic and international trip delay benefits before you buy travel insurance.
International travel insurance – Trip delay
If you purchased international travel insurance, we will pay for any reasonable additional costs you incurred due to a trip delay, as long as the delay lasted longer than 12 hours and was brought on by one of the dangers covered by the policy.
The maximum amount specified in your policy schedule will be considered when determining the amount of reimbursement for medical insurance for travel. Find the listed dangers below:
- Trip delay brought on by a common carrier’s equipment breakdown
- Trip delay brought on by inclement weather
- Trip delay brought on by a strike or other workplace action by carrier company’s employees.
In addition to the standard exclusions listed in your international travel insurance policy schedule, we will not be responsible for payment if a covered hazard that resulted in the travel delay became known to the public before you purchased the policy.
Domestic travel protection – Trip cancellation
If your trip was delayed for longer than five hours owing to a covered danger, we’ll pay for reasonable additional expenses for the accommodations you had to pay for under the terms of your domestic travel insurance.
You won’t be qualified for this benefit if the delay occurs while you are in your customary town of residence. Find the listed dangers below:
- Weather-related delays for scheduled flights or trains; or
- Trip delay brought on by a strike or other workplace protest by scheduled airline or railroad staff
- Due to scheduled planes’ or railways’ equipment breakdown, there was a delay in the trip.
- Delay brought on by a risk that you were aware of or that became known before you booked your trip.
- Any delay brought on by a government or other public authority’s rule, regulation, or order
- Delay brought on by a strike or labour dispute for which a warning had been sent beforehand, i.e., before the date that your trip was scheduled.
- Delay brought on by the scheduled airlines temporarily or permanently ceasing operation as per the directions or suggestions of any aviation agency.
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.