As the name suggests, an applicant tracking system or ATS is an application software that helps to handle all types of recruitment issues. It can be used by both large enterprises as well as small and medium businesses for the explicit purpose of recruitment tracking. Much like the SEO optimised engines, these applicant tracking systems can help filter applications and resumes on the basis of specific criteria set by the user. Hence in case the business has a requirement of a certain academic qualification, the same can be input as the searching keyword and the applications received can be filtered.
The wide scale use of this system today has contributed hugely to the rise of resume optimisation techniques. There techniques use job specific keywords to enable a high ranking for a candidates resume. This, in turn, increases the chances of the candidate being called for an interview with the hiring manager.
Need for resume optimisation
Resumes are generally ranked based on the total number keyword matches or keyword density. These keywords are put into the applicant tracking systems as search criteria for filtering through the applications that they receive. Hence the successful screening of a candidates resume depends on its keyword density. Hence resume optimisation techniques help the candidate by
- Putting in the appropriate keywords into the resume and
- Enabling him to get a higher ranking than the other candidates.
Keywords used for resume optimisation generally fall under categories like:
- Job titles: Generally each post is addresses to by a specific name which remains more or less similar across companies. Some common names of posts are software engineer, program director, marketing manager etc.
- Job responsibilities or skills required: Even though there might be slight differences in the naming of the posts, the skills required generally remain the same. Hence inputting these skills into the resume enables it to easily pass the filters set.
- Academic qualification: This is another common criterion which the recruiters use to filter and sort through the numerous job applications they receive. Resume optimisation techniques help by incorporating these keywords into the candidate’s resume.
- Industrial technologies and acronyms used: Criteria for the recruitment of the correct candidate also include the use of certain acronyms like TCP/IP, C++ These, if incorporated into the resume help it to get a better ranking and also get selected for an interview.
With ATS performing the first screening on the applications received against a specific job vacancy, it has become mandatory to make use of resume optimisation techniques and come up with a fool proof resume.