FAQs About Non-Payment of Wages

Is your employer deducting too much money from your pay checks or underpaying you? If you nodded your head, then you should not stay quiet and file for a legal claim against your employer. The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) secures the rights of employees to be paid for every hour they work. This article will help you learn more about the non-payment of wages.

What Exactly Is a Wage Claim?

Any former employee or current employee who is not satisfied with their wages can file for a wage claim. Generally, wage claims are filed to recover any of the following:

  • When employees do not receive their final paycheck
  • When employees are not given commissions, bonuses, and overtime wages which they lawfully deserve to get
  • When wages are paid by check with insufficient funds
  • When reporting time split shift premiums
  • When employees are not paid for work-related expenses

If you wish to file a claim for any of the aforementioned reasons, you should first demand for payment from your employer. If they do not entertain it, then you may file a wage claim against them.

How Can You File for the Wage Claim?

The wage claim can be filed by the employees themselves, but many experts recommend employees hire a non-payment of wages lawyer or an unpaid wages lawyer in such cases. These professional attorneys help you in dealing with the procedures seamlessly. To file a wage claim, you have to properly fill out the form. The form involves certain legalities and requirements that the average person may find difficult to understand; thus, this is where an attorney comes in.

They can assist you in filing the form properly to ensure that your form and claim is not rejected and is rather, approved by the law. Another perk of hiring a wage claim attorney is that they make you aware of the limitations of wage claims. Before filing claims, employees must always remember that these claims can only be made for the time they have worked and the associated wages.

What Are the Important Documents That You Will Have to Submit?

You need to submit a few supporting documents along with the form to build a strong case. You will need to attach the following documents with the form or submit them separately:

  • Bounced copy of paychecks: If employees are given checks that could not be cashed and the employer denies them their rightful pay, then you must submit a copy of the bounced checks or any other document that can prove it.
  • Time records: When employees work overtime and employers do not provide extra wages to them, employees can always show a copy of the records which show the working hours to support the claim.
  • Paystubs and paychecks: When employees are not paid enough or are not paid an appropriate amount of money in exchange of their services, they can also show a copy of the paychecks and push a claim to recover wages.

How Long Does It Take?

The duration of a non-payment of wages claim can vary, depending on the employer, the employee, and, of course, the non-payment of wagers lawyer. Most cases are settled in 6-8 weeks, while some of them take longer to settle. An experienced attorney can make a huge difference in terms of efficiency and quality of results.

If you are looking for credible non-payment of wages lawyers, then consult Wilshire Law Firm. We have a professional and seasoned team of attorneys to help you get the money you deserve. You can contact us on (213) 805-8549 or visit our main website for further details.